Part-time Pianist/Accompanist Job Description
The Salem United Methodist Church (Benton, AR) seeks a skilled pianist to join the music ministry team. The pianist/accompanist will play piano for the congregation during church services and for the choir during rehearsals. This position reports to the Music Director and is overseen by the Senior Pastor.
Salem UMC employs a part-time Music Director and Pianist. These paid staff lead our volunteer choir members. Our choirs act as liturgical leaders at weekly worship services and a variety of functions and special, seasonal services. Choir members are expected to attend regular weekly rehearsals, and participate in worship on Sunday mornings at 1100am September-May. The minimum age for membership in the chancel choir is 8th grade.
● Ability to play hymns, service music, and special music of moderate difficulty.
● Experience with and basic knowledge of church music.
● Flexibility, sight-reading, and improvisatory abilities desired.
● Ability to work collaboratively with others. Possess good communication skills.
Anticipated time commitments:
● Playing for 1100am worship service on Sundays
● Accompany choir rehearsals as needed.
● During summer months (June-Labor Day Sunday) the choir does not rehearse and sing every week, usually just once per month (TBD). Worship schedule will remain the same. Summer playing duties can be arranged between pianist and Music Director to allow for planned vacations.
● Additional time may be required for special services and church holidays, especially Christmas and Holy Week.
● Play at traditional Sunday Services (1100am) every week throughout the year.
● Responsible for selection and preparation of appropriate service music including: prelude, offertory, postlude, and music during distribution of Communion elements.
● Play as scheduled for special services, TBD.
● Play for choir practice (currently on Thursday evenings from 7:30-8:30pm).
● Play, for extra compensation to be provided by those requesting services, for weddings, funerals, memorial services, as needed.
● Arrange for acceptable substitute when unable to attend, with approval from music director.
Compensation: $100 per service / to be paid bi-weekly on the 15th and 30th of the month.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and references electronically or by mail to:
1647 Salem Road
Benton, AR 72019